I’m lucky to have this weird rotation where I only have two days on and then a five day weekend. It has been fantastic because Tuesday is the new Friday and I have four Saturdays! I have been home at my parents house just lounging around with Dizzy with nothing that needs to get done. It is so nice just to relax and spend time doing whatever we want. We have spent hours lounging on the sofa reading in front of the fire place.
What has not been so fun these last weeks is all this rain. I have so much free time that cannot be spent outdoors. Dizzy acts like sponge and absorbs any water within five feet of her. And she never drys! These cold and rainy days have had me craving some comfort food. I convinced my mom to make me Hungry Jack Casserole which is something from my child hood that we never have anymore. It takes almost no time to make which is a plus in our house!
1. One pound of ground beef
2. 20oz can of baked beans (we use maple flavored)
3. 1/2 cup of barbecue sauce
4. 1/4 of yellow onion, minced
5. 8 Flaky biscuits
6. 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
1. Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees
2. Brown the ground beef and drain the grease
3. Cook the onion until its translucent, about 5 minutes
4. Combine the ground beef, onion and baked beens until warm, about 5 minutes
5. Transfer stove-top ingredients to a 8×8 casserole dish
6. Cut the biscuits in half of keep the full sized and cover the baked beans mixture and top the biscuits with as much cheese as you would like!
7. Cook in the oven until the biscuits are golden brown, about 25-30 minutes
I cooked all my ingredients on the stove in an oven safe pan (I love my Le Creuset pan) so it was one less pan to clean! It takes about fifteen minutes to prep and about twenty-five minutes to bake!